Things to see and do
In and around western MT A great web site to help you plan your Montana vacation and familiarize yourself with the history and beauty of our state http://www.visitmt.com/
Glacier National Park The Park is located on the East side of Columbia Falls, MT. Approximately 60 minute drive from Marion. Plan to spend at least one or two days visiting the Park, as the many wonders of nature must be seen to be appreciated. At the top of Going to the Sun Road lies Logan Pass Visitor's Center, with short hikes and nature walks. The Visitor's Centers at Logan Pass and Apgar Village offer educational programs and unique shopping experiences. Be sure to check out the beautiful chalet and post and beam construction of Many Glacier Hotel on the Park's east side. We are particularly fond of the trails in this area. If you are interested in taking an outdoor class (hiking, birding), do check out The Glacier Institute. To find out more about Glacier, visit one or all of these sites:
Kalispell and surrounding communities host many things to see and do.
- Conrad Museum is a historical site in the heart of Kalispell.
- Many golf courses are located in downtown Kalispell or within a short drive.
- One favorite that is both beautiful and reasonable is in downtown at the end of north Main Street called Buffalo Hill.
- Shopping for outdoor gear, maps, Western wear and antiques within Kalispell, Big Fork, and Whitefish is excellent.
- Bigfork and Whitefish both have quite an artist community of potters, painters, and sculptors. Be sure to allow yourself an entire day to tour the galleries.
- Near Bigfork is the Swan River and Lake, a beautiful, scenic drive where you might glimpse trumpeter swans in the wildlife sanctuary.
Flathead Lake is the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi. Its shoreline is breathtaking, particularly with the backdrop of the Mission Mountains, sacred to the Flathead, Salish-Kootenai Indians. Boating can be enjoyed on a guided tour boat or a rental boat. Large pontoon boats and ski boats can be rented in the town of Lakeside from Wild Wave Watercraft. Fishing for large lake trout is a popular pastime by locals and visitors alike.
Whitefish is host to Big Mountain Ski Resort. During the summer months they have mountain biking and concerts at the summit. People enjoy the ride on the tram and see the ski lodge with its post and beam construction and spectacular view of Whitefish Lake below. On Fridays the tram ride is free after 5:00pm.
In and around Kila and Marion there are many lakes to picnic at, drive around, fish, swim in or wade near the shore.
- Bitterroot Lake is a charming lake, located in Marion.
- Following Highway 2 westward towards Libby is McGregor Lake and the Thompson Lakes chain.
- Near McGregor Lake is Lost Prairie. The first week of August every year Lost Prairie hosts an international skydiving meet called "The Boogie". It is a lot of fun to go watch the skydivers or even try it yourself. We have it on good authority that it gets pretty wild at night, so if you have young kids you may want to leave before it gets dark.
- McGregor Lake is well stocked with rainbow trout You will need a temporary Montana Fishing License.
- Two of our favorite stores for fishing and other sporting equipment are Sportsmanâ€ (where they rent canoes for $30/day) and Snappy, both in Kalispell. Snappy also has a great little gift shop.
For the youngsters a large waterslide is located at the corner of Highway 2 and 83 in Columbia Falls, as well as racing car courses and miniature golf courses on the way to Glacier Park after leaving Columbia Falls.
There are many more than listed here. These are just some of our favorites.
- Hilltop Hitching Post located 1 mile to the west of us on Highway 2. The food is quite good and reasonable. We particularly like the soups. No reservations
- The Cottage Inn located about 5 miles east of us on Highway. The food is quite good and reasonable. No reservations
- Capers Restuarant located in Kalispell on Main St. We would call this fine dinning. Reservations are required 755-7687
- Mackinaws Grill located in Lakeside on Highway 93 with a beautiful view of Flathead Lake and the Mission Mountains on the far side. We would call this fine dinning. Reservations 857-3889
- Showthyme located in Bigfork on Electric Ave, Fine dinning, Reservations 837-0707
- Grouse Mountain Lodge located in Whitefish. There are actually 3 restaurants here to meet different budgets and levels of dinning. Reservations 863-4700
- Lodge at Whitefish Lake fine dinning, Reservations 863-4000
- Tupelo Grille located in Whitefish on Central Ave., fine dinning, Reservations 862-6136
- Pollo Grill located in Whitefish on Wisconsin Ave. fine dining, Reservations 863-9400
- Café Kandahar located on Big Mountain, fine dinning, Reservations 862-6247
- Buffalo Hill Golf Club located in Kalispell, 756-4530
- Big Mountain Golf Club located just north of Kalispell on Highway 93, 751-1950
- Eagle Bend Golf Club located in Big Fork, 837-7310
- Lonesome Dove Ranch located near Smith Lake in Kila, 732-4203
- Mule Shoes Outfitters provides riding in Glacier National Park, 732-4203
- Artemis Acres located near Lakeside (Flathead Lake), 755-3723
- Bar W Guest Ranch located on Highway 93 in Whitefish, 863-9099
- Gaynor's Riverbend Ranch located near Whitefish, 862-3902
- Wild Wave Watercraft Rentals located at Lakeside Bay Marina, 257-2627
- Marina Cay Resort located in Big Fork, 837-5861
- Lodge at Whitefish Lake located on Whitefish Lake, 863-4000
White Water Rafting
- Glacier Raft Company 888-5454
- Great Northern Whitewater Resort 387-5340
- Northern Rockies Outfitters 756-2544
- Arends Fly Shop located in Columbia Falls 892-2033
- Glacier Guides located in West Glacier 387-555
- Lakestream Fly Fishing located in Whitefish862-1298